This week, I (Deb) was toying with the decision to include snapchat into my graduate level career class about a week prior to the first day of class, and then made the decision to go all in on the morning of class. I created a new account so they wouldn’t see any private snaps for friends and family should I become addicted. Per advice from another site, I gave it the class name. I contacted a gen z-er (my daughter) to help me figure out how they might interact with something I post without jeopardizing their privacy . I made a 10 second welcome video, that was very low on the professionalism side, and high on the personal side.
I was still brainstorming how I might use this tool for the class. I decided to beg the class for their help. I was surprised that about ¾ of the class of masters’ and doc students had snapchat. So, I offered it as an option to explore how we might use Snapchat in the class for assignments, to extend the lessons, and for extra credit. I brought my gen z-er with me to class, just in case (always have technical support nearby).
I had loaded my snapcode onto a powerpoint slide and was shocked that it actually worked from the back of the room. Students followed the instructions, saw my “welcome” story” and added to it. I saved the video for future reference of my first snapchat class experience. Teaser: We will share this at the NCDA conference if accepted! Here’s 2 screen grabs that show my invite (add to “my career”) and a couple of snapbacks:
I gave them options on some assignments, and the challenge that if they could figure out a way to meet the assignment requirements on snapchat, that they could do it. I had my TA sign up as well, and may let him takeover Snapchat one week. My thoughts right now for how I might use it include:
- daily to 3x a week (we’ll see my energy level) posting something related to the course
- cartoon, news story related to career development, pet picture with some type of annotation on it, my favorite Parsons’ quote, behind the scenes converting to Canvas, or my TA converting to Canvas, etc.
- in the days before an assignment is due, start posting a story that they can, in turn, respond to. Since it only lasts for 24 hours, I may have to do this a few times. Or, invite them to send me stuff.
- Morning of class, post a question for them to ponder or remind them to bring tools (like markers or assessments)
- After class, post a summary slide, and ask them to add to it.
- Add a snap portion to the career information safari
- Snap a picture of the cottingham colloquium
Nervous about this since I really don’t know what I’m doing, but also excited to work with the students to see how this could work. I now have 2 snapchat accounts. If you’d like to follow my personal account, here’s my snap code. 🙂 Let us hear how you are using Snapchat! Will update on the highs and lows as we go through this adventure.